Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why I'm a Morning Runner


I loathe running in the evenings... In case you have never been to Mississippi during the summer, it gets a little warm and humid.  I would much rather wake up earlier and get my miles in before the sun comes out to scorch the Earth.

I've had one major problem in the past couple of weeks though; it's impossible very hard to get up early.  I'm not sure if I'm getting inadequate sleep, uninterrupted sleep, or something else, but waking up early has become a victory each morning. 

Today, I woke up a little early and hit the roads.  I only had 2.5 on the schedule (thankfully).  I run a loop around the local high school which is right at 1 mile around.  The complete first mile was amazing!  The sun was still down behind the pines.  By the time I started my 2nd lap, the sun came out and it was mad.  It hammered me with it's rays for 9/10 of the loop, which was difficult.  After 18 minutes and 40 seconds, I was done with my 2.55 miles.

Another good thing about early morning runs... only one shower per day.


St. Jude Update:

Thanks so much to the two families that donated to St. Jude since the last post!!  No donation is too small (or large)!  Every dollar gets me closer to fulfilling my pledge! 

Updated stats:
I pledged to raise $2,500 total.  So far, I have $185, which leaves $2,315.

  • If I had 231 people donate $10 (and one $5), I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 92 people donate $25 (and one $15), I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 46 people donate $50 (and one $15), I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 23 people donate $100 (and one $15), I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 1 person donate $2,300 (and one $15), I would reach my goal! :)
There are tons of combinations of how the money can be raised and the pledge fully-compensated.   Will you help?


To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
-Steve Prefontaine 

No comments:

Post a Comment