Friday, July 12, 2013

Mixed Emotions



I hope this post finds you doing well.  This past week (plus) has been a mixture of good & bad for us. 

First, the good:


  • Rebecca and I celebrated our 6th Wedding Anniversary on Sunday, July 7.  I can not describe the feeling I have for my bride.  She is such an awesome person to be around.  She is a Christ-follower.  She’s an amazing wife.  She’s a wonderful mother to my son.  I can’t wait to see where God leads us throughout the remainder of our lives, but I do know one thing; we’ll be side-by-side wherever we go.
    Engagement picture on the front porch of my parent's log-cabin
  • Hudson celebrated his 3rd birthday on Monday, July 8.  I’m still awestruck at how God chose me to father this precious child.  Hudson is the spot-on example of the perfect child.  In fact, I think Hudson is 2nd only to Jesus, during his childhood J.  The kid has personality for days.  He is an incredible actor.  He can smile/joke his way out of almost anything.  He has a heart that is golden. 
    Hudson at 1 month
    Hudson at 6 months
    Hudson at 10 months
    White House visit (2011)
    Having fun swimming at Disney (April 2013)

    Hudson's BIG CATCH (June 2013)
    Enjoying the Spash-Park at DeWayne Hayes (June 2013)
    Our little Super-hero (June 2013)

Now the bad:


  • The passing & funeral of Park Stevens.  Park was literally a larger-than-life person; and standing 6’7” everyone looked up to him.  Everyone that met Park remembered him afterwards.  He almost-always had a smile on his face.  Park tragically died last week in an auto-accident on his way home for the July 4th holiday.  The funeral was on Saturday, July 6.  It was very evident that Park was a loved individual, if by nothing else, he packed out the sanctuary AND the fellowship hall at Mt. Vernon (700+ people).  Family, friends & football teammates from New Hope, Oak Hill, East Central CC & Ole Miss were in attendance.  His coaches spoke and Josh Daffern tried to help us understand why this happened (you can find his message here - Park Stevens).  The service was awesome to be able to see/hear/experience.  It was so difficult though.  Please remember the Stevens’ family in your prayers!
    Park Stevens (Spring 2013)
  • Rebecca’s granddad, Papaw, spent the past 3+ weeks with our family in MS.  Over the past week we noticed that he wasn’t being himself.  He had trouble walking, keeping cool/warm & could not stay awake.  He was taken to the local clinic where we were told he needed to be taken to the hospital.  On Saturday, he was admitted into a hospital in Memphis.  Doctors are still trying to figure out exactly what is wrong.  Please pray for Papaw and his doctors and nursing staff.  Be sure to remember his caretaker(s) during this time as well; which primarily has been my mother-in-law.  Papaw is an 83 year-old Korean War veteran and a treat to sit & talk with.
    Papaw on July 5, 2013
Papaw at the Korean War memorial in Washington, DC (2011)
Papaw & Sheila (his daughter/Rebecca's mom) at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (2011)


------------------------------------------------


The pledge for St. Jude is still ongoing, since someone hasn’t opened their checkbook to the tune of $2,300 yet! J 

Updated stats:
I pledged to raise $2,500 total.  So far, I have $310, which leaves $2,190.
  • If I had 219 people donate $10, I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 87 people donate $25 (and one $15), I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 43 people donate $50 (and two $20), I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 21 people donate $100 (and six $15), I would reach my goal.
  • If I had 1 person donate $2,175 (and one $15), I would reach my goal! :)
There are tons of combinations of how the money can be raised and the pledge fully-compensated.   Will you help?

Time costs more than money. You can get more money,
you can’t get time back.  Spend it wisely.
-Lecrae

No comments:

Post a Comment