Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Today's "DailyMission"

I use a website called DailyMile to track my runs and progress.  Everyday they have a "Daily Mission" that allows the DM community to answer and get to know other DM'ers a little better.  Today's #DailyMission asked "What motivated you to start running/cycling/exercising?"

A few years ago my brother began running, which peaked my interest in doing the same.  Not long after I began "running" (it was more of a slow jog until I was gasping for air, which led to several minutes of walking, followed by another 30-45 seconds of jogging, and the circle continued), my laziness kicked in and took over.  I stopped my attempt of running and restarted my old habits of doing nothing and enjoying whatever foods I came around.  My brother on the other-hand, stopped a long-time smoking addiction and became addicted to a healthier alternative, RUNNING (the kind where you start and don't stop until you get completely finished).  He continued his progress, completed numerous 5k's and ended up running a marathon.

In October 2010, I decided to take control of my laziness (and fat belly) and chose to start eating better and set out to become a runner.  It didn't take long before I was able to run for short distances without the fear of dying.  I set achievable goals and before I knew it I was able to run 1/4 of a mile without too much problem.  Then it was 1/2 a mile.  Then I ran a full MILE without stopping.  Excitement does not begin to describe my feelings.  After I hit the 1 mile mark, it became a little easier for me to run further (1.5, 2, 2.5 miles) with short walking breaks in between.

In March 2011, I ran the St. Patrick's 5k at Lake Lowndes.  I finished the race 1st in my age group and #27 (or so) overall.  I got my first racing medal!!  And as I wrote in a previous post, I completed my first 10k last weekend and finished #2 in my age group.  Today I can run 7+ miles without stopping and it's all from determination.  I have also lost more than 50 lbs and feel better than I have in a LOONG time!

My brother is still my inspiration for running, because let's face it, he's a beast.  He (and a short summary of his story) even made the Dick's Sporting Goods magazine!!  One day, I hope to be as quick as he is, but for now, I'm enjoying the road there.  Happy running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment